Because the regularly scheduled meeting time fell on New Year’s Day, Ecru Aldermen postponed the January meeting until last Wednesday evening.
After calling the meeting to order and opening with prayer, Mayor Tom Todd reminded all present that three volunteers are still needed to fill vacancies on the election commission.
Several recommendations were made, but action was postponed until individuals could be contacted about the issue.
Noting a lower percentage rate available through First National Bank on a $67,818.18 loan currently held with Berkadia, Mayor Todd recommended refinancing.
“It won’t be a whole lot of money, but we’ll be dealing with local folks and saving a little too.” Aldermen unanimously voted to refinance the loan with First National Bank Ecru.
Police Chief Gary Chisholm was authorized to attend the upcoming Police Chiefs Conference to be held in Jackson.
Chief Chisholm also provided several suggestions as requested concerning rotating eight hour and twelve hour shifts to provide full time police coverage for the town. Aldermen agreed to take the information under consideration until next month’s meeting.
The suggestion was made and approved to send letters of gratitude on behalf of the board to Tombigbee River Valley Water Management, Supervisor Wayne Stokes, and Wallace Leather for recent work completed on drainage ditches.
The recent decision to not allow mobile homes within city limits was revisited, with Alderman Ivonne Whitehead questioning the legality of such an ordinance.
Attorney Phil Tutor agreed to look into the matter and report back to the board.
The next Ecru Board Meeting will be held Tuesday, February 5, 6 p.m. at City Hall.
Ecru aldermen still searching for election commissioners
- New Albany Lady Bulldogs begin basketball without Spears November 26, 2013
- Bulldogs aim to be aggressive, high-tempo on court November 26, 2013
- Climate controlled or elements of nature, it’s still sports November 26, 2013
- New Albany takes a split in soccer with Caledonia November 27, 2013
- Ingomar Tournament November 27, 2013
- Sports Calendar December 5, 2013
- Special Teams December 5, 2013
- East Union Homecoming Court December 5, 2013
- Swimmers raise $4,000 to support pool feasibility study November 27, 2013
- Thanksgiving break November 27, 2013
- RT @blongsports: A 9-0 Mooreville run prompts a South Pontotoc timeout. Lady Troopers up 9-2, 5:24 1Q. #DJpreps 10 months ago retweeted via blongsports
- If you follow @NANewsExchange, please follow @denclayton. Dennis covers local high school sports in the Union County/New Albany area. 12 months ago
- Thanks Shane! Appreciate it! 1 year ago
- Thanks Jay! 1 year ago
- RT @MzTrazey: Riverfest has changed location due to ongoing trial. http://t.co/qT9W2cem 1 year ago retweeted via MzTrazey